My first layout aware metro app lol

Talk about Windows 10, get help & support, share tips, tricks and useful links.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

A simple calculator test app

I am a complete newb using XAML and for the last few months I have been trying to learn how to code Metro apps in Windows 8 and for me the hardest part has been trying to figure out how to use this XAML cr*p and one of the things that I got stuck on was how to change the app design for the different layout types available in Metro apps. Just before the Release Preview came out I had finally figured out the various bits of code required to do it and then RP came out along with VS2012 RC and it has made this particular problem much easier to deal with.

VS2012 RC comes with a fantastic new feature called State Recording which when enabled allows you to move controls and change their properties/settings/sizes etc to match the layout chosen so for example if you preview your app using the snapped state which is only 320pixels wide you can enable recording when adjusting your controls and it will save their new properties/sizes/locations automatically directly into the XAML for you without making any changes to other layouts..massive time saver thank you Microsoft :D

I just decided to test the layouts out by making a basic calculator app which uses grids, viewboxes, buttons etc just to test how they look and behave in these layouts and this is how it looks:

Full screen landscape view:

Full screen portrait view:

Snapped view:

Filled view:

Not bad for a quick test of this feature lol

XAML is still a b*tch though!
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
Skillful
Skillful Coders
Skillful Coders

Nice work CodenStuff! :)
XAML is really a b*tch!
Instead of LOL use this -
LSIBMHBIWFETALOL

Which means -
Laughing silently in between my head because it wasn't funny enough to actually laugh out loud!
comathi
Coding God
Coding God

Never used XAML, but I know some languages can be real pains sometimes :lol:
Skillful
Skillful Coders
Skillful Coders

comathi wrote:
Yeah lol.
Same with WPF/WCF.
Instead of LOL use this -
LSIBMHBIWFETALOL

Which means -
Laughing silently in between my head because it wasn't funny enough to actually laugh out loud!
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

You really only need to use XAML if you code a Metro app in VB or C# but you can also code in Javascript which uses HTML and CSS for the display which offers more flexibility but personally I cant be a**ed learning Javascript because I have so much in my head I cant fit much else in it rite now lol.

So im sticking with VB which unfortunately requires that I use XAML. I think the XAML is the hardest part about making a Metro app because that is what people see and you have to make it work/look good on ALL resolutions and view states :? . I hope some of you start coding for Metro eventually and then we can share what we know and teach each other how to use the stupid thing :lol:
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
Shim
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

i am going to start programming for metro :D

cody layout is cute awesome :D :D
Find my programs on Softpedia
MrAksel
C# Coder
C# Coder

Skillful wrote:
comathi wrote:
Yeah lol.
Same with WPF/WCF.
WPF uses XAML for layout. You can code in C# or whatever though :)

Some weeks back I made a little Metro app myself, I think its cool haha :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT
Laughing my a** of so hard my sombrero fell off and I dropped my taco lmao;

Over 30 projects with source code!
Please give reputation to helpful members!

CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

MrAksel your app doesnt run I dont think its packaged properly :?
MrAksel
C# Coder
C# Coder

Ohh I obviously need to create some sort of package to distribute it, the bad thing is that I cant seem to find the right button. I think it might be because I don't have a developer license :S
LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT
Laughing my a** of so hard my sombrero fell off and I dropped my taco lmao;

Over 30 projects with source code!
Please give reputation to helpful members!

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Windows 10 General Discussion”