[VB.Net] Flood The Paint Away

If you have completed an application and wish to share the complete source/project files with everyone then please post it in here. Source-code files only, no tutorials.
1 post Page 1 of 1
Contributors
Usman55
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

[VB.Net] Flood The Paint Away
Usman55
I made this app for one of the Mad March challenges. It is basically a paint app in which we can select a color a fill it in the clicked region. It is like the Bucket Fill tool in MS Paint or any other image editing software.

I tried writing my own logarithm for flood filling and succeeded to some extent. The code checked the neighboring pixels of the point clicked if they are of the same color or not and filled them if they were. But the problem was that the code was too slow and the app froze until the function was completed. I probably should have used a separate thread but I don't have much experience with thread yet, so that was a no for me. Filling an area as small as 40 pixels took 5 seconds, which was very slow. So I scrapped the idea.

The new code is not by me but from another website, which now I don't remember. I'll see if I find that page and credit the person behind this awesome code. Other methods of flood filling include calling an API ExtFloodFill or by using SafeFloodFill/UnsafeFloodFill. These methods didn't work for me either because I was unable to make them work for a picturebox or they took too long to fill a large area. However, the code in this source is very responsive and at least as fast as the Bucket Fill tool in MS Paint.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 post Page 1 of 1
Return to “Source-Code”