Gimp Help

If you have any questions about anything graphics and media related then please ask in here.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
Bogoh67
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Gimp Help
Bogoh67
ok so i want to make a cylinder type shape the has a shade effect on it
so im wondering how to do it

First the cylinder shape
Then is making the cylinder shape requires more than one object would i have to make it into a single layer then add the shade effect
And finally the shade effect is it simply made by using the blend tool? and what i mean by shade is make it look more realistic like this

and the final project i want to look like this or something similar but i want a solid base and glass on the top

*EDIT

and Mike and Chris i know you're reading this so please help me because i know you can :P
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Re: Gimp Help
mikethedj4
That would be hard to make in Gimp. It's possible though, you're be better off using GAP (Gimp Animation Pack) in order to create this, however I only use GAP for animations, as well as converting a video to a gif animation.

I remember someone tried something similar to this in gimp. Try giving Gimp Chat a try. The people there can really help you out, as well as friendly too. Plus their not a dick when it comes to giving criticism like me lol.

NOTE: A shade effect is totally different that's a shadow effect (not a drop shadow, their totally different) and that I would make a selection I think the shadow would be/look like from where the light source is, and fill it with black, adjust the opacity, as well as give it a small gaussian blur (sometimes big depending on the image) Anyway you'd do all that in it's own layer, and erase from where the main object is overlaying it, and you'd be good for the shadow.

However this looks more like a design that was made in Bryce 5.5, and there's plenty of tutorials on Bryce so you should have no problem learning how to use the program. (The link takes you to Bryce v7 and I stuck with 5.5 cause 6 you had to pay for, and idk what's new in the new versions, just to let you know, and it's been awhile sense I've used Bryce)

It'd be way easier doing this in Blender though.
Bogoh67
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Bogoh67
so would that mean i could do all of this easier in blender then go into real details in gimp?
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

mikethedj4
This is more of a model for Bryce, but Blender you can make it look way more realistic. You wouldn't really need Gimp for anything except watermarking, or just going real crazy for a photo manipulation.
Bogoh67
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Bogoh67
well ok then
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Help & Support”