Using GIMP To Make Cursors

Learn how to use software like Photoshop and Gimp to create your own custom graphics.
1 post Page 1 of 1
Contributors
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Using GIMP To Make Cursors
mikethedj4
Well I already made a video on how you'd do this for Windows, and there is a topic on here for Windows users. So if you are a Windows user just head here to watch my tutorial on it. (Having a pain finding the topic on here)

Anyway while browsing Google (I forgot what for, but was Mac related) I accidentally came across this plugin which enables us Linux users to save our image as an X11 Mouse Cursor! (Both animated, and static cursors too)

The process is simple, just download, and install it. (I'm using Ubuntu 11.04, and installing using gdeb package manager)
1.png
Now simply design your cursor.

After you've finished designing it. Now it's time to save it by going to File/Save As (If using Gimp 2.8+ it's File/Export)
2.png
Once you hit "Save" you'll be prompted with this dialog.
3.png
The X hotspot would be where you want the "control point" of the cursor so if you're a left handed user for example you have a basic arrow, but instead of it pointing right, it's pointing left at 32x32 and the pointer is on the top left. So your x hotspot would be 32, and y would be set to 0. Get my drift?

NOTE: You should mark the hotspots down right before you save, just to make sure you get it right.

Everything else is pretty simple when it comes to animation.

NOTE: If you're not familiar with GIF animations. Make sure you learn how thoughs work before getting into making animated cursors, and I have created plenty of video tutorials on designing, as well as animation (with some video special effects thrown in there) so you should have no problem getting started.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 post Page 1 of 1
Return to “GFX Tutorials”