Alternative Apps New Design!

Created or found some images that you would like to share with others? please post them in here. Buttons, backgrounds, borders or any images people could use in there applications.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Alternative Apps New Design!
mikethedj4
You can head here to see what I've got done so far.
alternativeapps.png
Well I've been working on redesigning Alternative Apps, and I got the main part of the homepage done.
As you can see from the image above.

I'm redesigning it because, atm you only have Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X for desktop apps, and Web Apps, but Android, and iOS users are pretty much out of luck. So I'm redesigning it so the user gets the best experience, but also so all these platforms will get the best/closest free alternatives to paid software.

However! I'm stuck at the main part.

I know I want it so when you click, say the Windows icon. A div fades/slides/animates in (via JQuery) and you'll have a list of paid software (I'm thinking icons instead of text). When you click it, it'll will show a description of the app, system requirements, official website url, download link, and of course screenshot.

Now you're probably sitting there thinking, "Well you got this pretty much figured out". Not exactly as the italic part is where I'm stuck at. I just don't know how I wanna design it so the user gets the best experience.

Any suggestions?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW: I also redesigned Alternative App's logo.

New Logo: (Designed in Inkscape)
alternativeapps-logo.png
Old Logo: (Designed in Gimp)
alternativeapps-old-logo.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mikethedj4 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
GoodGuy17
Coding God
Coding God

Re: Alternative Apps New Design!
GoodGuy17
I say, if you make the Windows and cloud logos look like that, you should make the others do the same. (cartoon look)

You should have a fast uplift, and then slow brake to fade the menu into view when you click a logo, the alternative program list should be logos of the paid program and a separator and the alternative logo. You should have the layout of the body like this:

Title: Photoshop (Paid, Price) / GIMP (Alternative, Free)
Screenshot: Photoshop screenshot then GIMP screenshot
Description of each program

and the logos should take up the whole window when you selected the OS. Like when you click the alternative logo you want to view, it will slide to the top left and make the body bigger.

Hope you can do that, or some of it at least... it looks to be a useful site, too. Great job.
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

mikethedj4
Could you make some basic designs of how I should have the apps display???

I'm just having a pain trying to think of how it should be designed/put together in my head.
GoodGuy17
Coding God
Coding God

GoodGuy17
I suck at designing, graphical and web-wise. Sorry :(
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

mikethedj4
I'm talking about a template, not a layout. (Web Layouts vs. Web Templates)

BTW: Like I said before you can head here to view Alternative App's new web layout in action.

I'll be posting a topic later today, or tomorrow for thoughs users who are looking for a free alternative to say PhotoShop for example. More information will be in that topic.

Now it's not done yet, cause I haven't got to taking screenshots yet for the web apps, or editing them.

I want you guys to take a look at it, and give any update ideas, for color, or maybe a change in animation.

Remember this site isn't for me, it's for you guys.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “GFX Media”