Text Adventure

Here is the place to post images, videos and downloads of your current and upcoming applications that you are working on.
30 posts Page 3 of 3
Contributors
smashapps
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

Re: Text Adventure
smashapps
The game is looking really good so far @Codenstuff looking forward to playing it
My name is Tom | Visit my blog where I post new content every day! Tom's Daily Blog | MineCraft is awesome!
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
Just wanted to update you on what I'm doing.

I've been adding some more visual/interactive elements to the game just to make things look and play a little bit better, I'm also creating an introduction to the game...being the first part of the game when you play it so it gives you an idea of what the "story" is about and helps you learn the basic commands.

I've got most of it written now and I'm just finishing off 1 more feature and then I will post it for testing.

It may be another day or two cooll;
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
Codex
Coding God
Coding God

Codex
I still don't understand what this game is xD #CodenStuff
We shall let the revolution begin.. the revolution for freedom, freedom against censorship. We shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
Its based on old-skool text adventure games or interactive fiction as they are also known.

The first games of this type were completely text based with no graphics, a bit like reading a book but you decide what happens next, it's a bit like the RPG adventure games of today like Zelda and Final Fantasy but those games have graphics and you control the player running around and collecting stuff and completing tasks...text adventure games are exactly the same but its all TEXT based.

A scene and/or situation is described to you on screen (you use your imagination to visualise it) and you THE PLAYER decide what to do next, for example a scene could be:

"You are standing in the middle of a large open field on a hot sunny day, the sun feels nice beaming down on you and the grass at your feet sways in the light breeze. You can see a tree in the distance and some cows ahead of you."

Now you THE PLAYER decide what to do next, for example you could type:

"Look at the cows." or "Go climb the tree."

The game I'm making is a text adventure but I'm throwing in some visual elements to make it a bit more fun.

Watch these videos for a good history lesson on these types of games and how they evolved :)
View All: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEQLcSvj ... -uIdW1d5oE
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
Ok a demo is ready to download if anyone fancies having a play

You will need to extract the archive so it can save/access files.

Download: http://1drv.ms/10sFBHM

Let me know what you think :)
zachman61
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

zachman61
Looks pretty cool will have to test it soon.
Nailing my feet to the floor is easier than using my own muscles to balance, but you don't see me doing that :)
smashapps
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

smashapps
First impression: Looks good but the first screen lags when it fades out.

I like the audio in the game, this is much more than just a text based game.
Playing it though i had some trouble
Rollover to view spoiler

I know I'm on a medical table and I need to get to the stargate, I know Henry is stuck and he's told me to go. I have a security pass.

I'm not sure how to leave or what I am able to do.

I want to play more but I can't go further on.

Edit: I like the idea of notes, but it would be nice if they were open all the time, so we can see the chat screen too at the same time. :)
My name is Tom | Visit my blog where I post new content every day! Tom's Daily Blog | MineCraft is awesome!
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
If you type "HELP" you should see a list of commands you can use in the game.

You move around the game world using compass directions (North, East, South and West)

"Go North"

Typing "Where" will give you a description of where you are and in which directions you can move in.

Typing "Look" will tell you what objects are in the room, typing something like "Look at the table" will describe the object in more detail.

"Use" will allow you to use an item on an object, "Use key in door" for example.

Every time you move to a new area you should know "Where" you are and make sure you "Look around" so you don't miss anything you may need later on in the game :)
smashapps
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

smashapps
Thanks!

'Where' wasn't on the help list which is why I was confused.

That should be added to the list, also when you get to the storage closet there is a grammar mistake "you can lots of crumpled boxes on the floor"

And like I said before it would be nice if notes were easier to access :)
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
Yes I know it has some spelling/grammar issues but right now it is just a demo...a demonstration to see how it could all work together :)

For anyone wanting to create their own game I've attached the latest Game editor and Module package below.

Please see this post for info on how to use the code: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11741&start=10#p82389
TextAdventure.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
30 posts Page 3 of 3
Return to “Work in Progress”