hdd problem

Anything not covered in the other sections like Computer trouble - Hardware Issues - Upgrades and other technical stuff to be asked in here please.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
code it
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

hdd problem
code it
hey guys i just found out my hard drive is failing possibly soon to die but its also defragged so if i defrag it will it help with the performance at all or no?
mandai
Coding God
Coding God

Re: hdd problem
mandai
It's probably not a good idea to defrag a failing drive since this might cause corruption
kolega28
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

kolega28
Defragging will just do a bunch of writes that'll kill it even more, back up your data and get a new HDD asap.
code it
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

code it
i think my hdd is dying now its stuck at windows loading screen. does anyone know how i can fix this
Usman55
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Usman55
I had the same problem. My suggestion would be to create a LiveUSB, preferably Ubuntu. Then you just copy over all of your data onto an external HDD. Or start uploading it to the cloud.
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

mikethedj4
You should always have a LiveCD or LiveUSB stick (preferably Ubuntu) with you when using a computer encase something like this arises.

You can use Ubuntu's Disk Utility application to see if your Drive is going out for not.

I recommend backing up your data ASAP. Either to an external hard drive, or upload it in the cloud on your website (if you have one), DropBox or OneDrive (formerly called SkyDrive). There are others but these are my quick suggestions.

As for defrag I would not recommend it at this point because if your hd is failing it may cause corruption and you don't want it to do anymore work it needs to do.

Get a new hard drive and/or find out if it's failing first before attempting to do anything else with that computer. (I'd also recommend getting a second computer encase something like this happens again)
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “General Help”