Raspberry Pi NAS

Get together and talk about everything Pi.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
comathi
Coding God
Coding God

Raspberry Pi NAS
comathi
A few weeks ago, I got a couple of Raspberry Pis, so I decided I would put them to work.

You see, I have a laptop running Ubuntu and a desktop running Windows, and it's a hassle for me to constantly plug-unplug-plug-unplug my external hard drive when I want to do a backup of the files. A while back, I found this tutorial on HowToGeek showing how to make a low-powered NAS (network-attached-storage) using the Raspberry Pi.

Well, it took me all day, but here it is. My very own personnal file server :)

In the picture, you can see the Pi (in its casing), my external hard drive, as well as a powered USB hub (the Pi doesn't supply enough power for the drive) and a few cables to keep everything connected :)
smashapps
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

Re: Raspberry Pi NAS
smashapps
Very good idea #comathi looks awesome. Are you liking the Pi so far?
My name is Tom | Visit my blog where I post new content every day! Tom's Daily Blog | MineCraft is awesome!
comathi
Coding God
Coding God

comathi
I'm liking it very much. And it's perfect for this sort of thing. Lightweight, low-power, and I can control everything over SSH.
AnoPem
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

AnoPem
Can i ask where did you get the rasbperry pi
https://t.me/pump_upp
comathi
Coding God
Coding God

comathi
I got it from Element14, link

They delivered within two days. I also got the transparent plastic case from them. If you're looking into getting one, remember it comes with nothing but the board, so you'll have to get the following:

USB keyboard (optionnal)
USB mouse (optionnal)
HDMI cable or Video cable (optionnal)
5V, 800mA, microUSB power cable
Last edited by comathi on Sun May 12, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnoPem
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

AnoPem
comathi wrote:
I got it from Element14, link

They delivered within two days. I also got the transparent plastic case from them. If you're looking into getting one, remember it comes eith nothing but the board, so you'll have to get the following:

USB keyboard (optionnal)
USB mouse (optionnal)
HDMI cable or Video cable (optionnal)
5V, 800mA, microUSB power cable

Thank you, i was thinking about getting one i didnt know about the power cable so thanks again cooll;
https://t.me/pump_upp
Codex
Coding God
Coding God

Codex
How is HDMI/Video cable optional :P ? You need it to see the screen lol
We shall let the revolution begin.. the revolution for freedom, freedom against censorship. We shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender
comathi
Coding God
Coding God

comathi
Codex wrote:
How is HDMI/Video cable optional :P ? You need it to see the screen lol

If you want to see the screen, yes, but you can also control everything remotly using SSH. For example, in my case, as plugging a monitor into the Pi would be quite inconvenient, I can manage everything from my laptop over an SSH connection using PuTTy.
Codex
Coding God
Coding God

Codex
Oh sorry lol, didn't know you were using SSH. Otherwise a cable would be required :P
We shall let the revolution begin.. the revolution for freedom, freedom against censorship. We shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “General Discussion”