Using Regex to find elements?

Post your questions regarding programming in C# in here.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
SumCode
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Using Regex to find elements?
SumCode
So when a user enters some text into a textbox I want to find matches with this pattern '[A-Z][a-z]?\d+'
So if a user entered "Hg2H1' it would split it to 'Hg2' and 'H1' and it does. However, if a user were to enter 'Zn4Pb15H2O' the program would split it to 'Zn4' 'Pb15' and 'H2O' which isn't desirable. I would want it to split to 'Zn4' 'Pb1' and '5H2O'. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
comathi
Coding God
Coding God

Re: Using Regex to find elements?
comathi
The problem is that you can't know whether the user meant Pb15 or Pb1 + 5H2O... as these are two input possibilities.

Edit: Also, I may be wrong, but don't coefficients exist only when typing out a chemical equation? In the case of a chemical formula, I don't think you'll encounter coefficients, just subscripts.
SumCode
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Re: Using Regex to find elements?
SumCode
comathi wrote:
The problem is that you can't know whether the user meant Pb15 or Pb1 + 5H2O... as these are two input possibilities.

Edit: Also, I may be wrong, but don't coefficients exist only when typing out a chemical equation? In the case of a chemical formula, I don't think you'll encounter coefficients, just subscripts.
Yea so I just made it so the user has to enter '*[amt of water]H2O' and I made some custom regex patterns and came out with this code here
Code: Select all
    String useWaters = equationTB.Text.Contains("H2O") ? Regex.Match(equationTB.Text, @"\*\d+(H2O)").Value : "";
    String equation = useWaters != "" ? equationTB.Text.Replace(useWaters, "") : equationTB.Text;
    MatchCollection allMatches = Regex.Matches(equation, @"\(?[A-Z][a-z]?\d+\)?\d*");
    for (int i = 0; i <= allMatches.Count - 1; i++)
    {
        String symbol, amount = "";
        String value = allMatches[i].Value;
        watersAmount.Text = useWaters != "" ? Regex.Match(useWaters, @"\d+").Value : "0";
        symbol = Regex.Match(value, "[A-Z][a-z]?").Value;
        if (value.Contains('('))
        {
            amount = Convert.ToString(Convert.ToInt32(Regex.Match(value, @"\d+").Value) * Convert.ToInt32(allMatches[i].NextMatch().Value.Split(')')[1]));
        }
        else if (value.Contains(')'))
        {
            amount = Convert.ToString(Convert.ToInt32(value.Split(')')[1]) * Convert.ToInt32(value.Split(')')[0].Replace(symbol, "")));
        }
        else
        {
            amount = Regex.Match(value, @"\d+").Value;
        }
        switch (i)
        {
            case 0:
                firstElement.SelectedIndex = allElements.FindIndex(k => k.elementSymbol == symbol);
                firstAmount.Text = amount;
                break;
            case 1:
                secondElement.SelectedIndex = allElements.FindIndex(k => k.elementSymbol == symbol);
                secondAmount.Text = amount;
                break;
            case 2:
                thirdElement.SelectedIndex = allElements.FindIndex(k => k.elementSymbol == symbol);
                thirdAmount.Text = amount;
                break;
            case 3:
                fourthElement.SelectedIndex = allElements.FindIndex(k => k.elementSymbol == symbol);
                fourthAmount.Text = amount;
                break;
            case 4:
                fifthElement.SelectedIndex = allElements.FindIndex(k => k.elementSymbol == symbol);
                fifthAmount.Text = amount;
                break;
            default:
                return;
        }
    }
So if I were to enter an equation like this 'Pb2(Hg1O2)1He1*2H2O' the program would see it as
Pb - 2
Hg - 1
O - 2
H2O - 2
And end-result is

Also just in case anyone is taking chemistry like me, here's the source
GperMol calculator.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “General coding help”