Help with distributing program

Post your questions regarding programming in Visual Basic 6 in here.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
Toxikr3
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Help with distributing program
Toxikr3
Hi guys, I have a program, an update checker, its pretty cool. I used the download code from the tutorial on this website and added some of my own stuff.

I am making it for a game, and the code was changed quite a bit :P

It reads from the registry, reads from an online source and finds a specific value, downloads with progress bar(tutorial from this site) and launches program after download. ^_^

Ok the question, how can I distribute my program, what is the best possible way? I am hoping that the update program will be in the same directory as the game. I don't want them to install it separately. The game isn't made by me, so I am just making this as a third party program. I want it to work for the users without a big hassle.

What files do they need, I just want the .exe file to run not the setup.

Thanks,
-Toxikr3
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

The only file you would need is the *.exe file that should be in your Bin > Debug folder or Bin > Release folder.

Instead of Publishing your project choose build instead and that should make an exe file. Depends which version of VB your using.

Happy coding cooll;
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
Toxikr3
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Re: Help with distributing program
Toxikr3
Alright, I have uploaded an .exe.

However, a new problem, the person who tried out my program has Vista 64x and my program did not work for him. I think he has netFramework 2.5

How can I make sure my program works for everyone..?

Here is the link to my program
http://www.filefront.com/15215023/UpdateChecker.exe
It will give an error if you click play since you won't have the game file. The download should work, its pretty much the same code in the tutorial, but changed a bit.

Thanks,

-Toxikr3

EDIT: Also I was look in references and PowerPack is there, version 9.0 and its a.net type. What does that mean?
All the other references are 3.5 or under

EDIT2: Also under references, should I change the Copy Local values to true...?
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “General coding help”