Duplicate file removal

If you need help with a project or need to know how to do something specific in VB.NET then please ask your questions in here.
Forum rules
Please LOCK your topics once you have found the solution to your question so we know you no longer require help with your query.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
muttley1968
Hardcore Programmer
Hardcore Programmer

Duplicate file removal
muttley1968
Hello
I got ALOT of music, i have about 20k of songs i know its alot but i have all my parents music as well, i have a few songs which are repeated though for example

Beatles
The beatles
beatles

And they are all the same song, so what i need to do is find someway to find all the duplicated version of a song and put it into a folder so the setup would be like

Music Duplicated - (dupated song) - then songs

so it moves them into a folder and then into a sub folder with the band name

Im just not sure how to do this.
comathi
Coding God
Coding God

Re: Duplicate file removal
comathi
I would have suggested using hashes to see if the files are identical, then remove one of them.

However, I tested it and if the ID3 tags are different for both files (that's the artist information you can set in the file properties), the hash will not be the same.

So unless your duplicate files are exactly the same song and have the exact same ID3 tags, I don't think there's a reliable way to find duplicates. I may be wrong, though...
muttley1968
Hardcore Programmer
Hardcore Programmer

muttley1968
I dont want to remove them just put them into a folder on their own

So you would have a setup like

Music dupliacate
-Artist A
-Tack 1
-Track 1(2)
-Atrist B
-Artist C
comathi
Coding God
Coding God

comathi
Remove them, move them somehwere else... It doesn't matter

The problem is that you're trying to identify duplicate files in the first place, and as I've mentionned previously, the only way I can think of this being possible is by checking the hashes of the files, which will be different if the ID3 tags aren't identical as well as the contents.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Coding Help & Support”