Win8 is it worth the Upgrade?

Talk about Windows 10, get help & support, share tips, tricks and useful links.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
hungryhounduk
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Win8 is it worth the Upgrade?
hungryhounduk
Hey Guys and Gals

I am thinking of Installing Win8, and was wondering what the people who have been using it for the past 6/7 months thought about it?

Is it a worthwhile Upgrade? or shall i just stick with Win7 and Vista?

Chris
visualtech
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

i'd say that you should stick with Windows 7 as 8 has a big problem of lagging. (I tried it on 4 machines of 4, 8, 16 and 32GB RAMs). The time was different but eventually it did lag.

For Windows 7, no lag, perfect development :)
So, NO
Last edited by visualtech on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XTechVB
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Re: Win8 is it worth the Upgrade?
XTechVB
In my opinion NO. Stick to 7.
You can find me on Facebook or on Skype mihai_92b
comathi
Coding God
Coding God

comathi
If you have Vista, I'd definetely upgrade. If you have Windows 7, though, I don't think upgrading is urgent.

I've been using Windows 8 for quite literally a year now, and generally I'd say I'm pretty satisfied. It loads faster than Windows 7, feels lighter, more customizable (especially since update 8.1) and still retains the great stuff about Windows 7 in desktop mode (which you can now boot to directly).

I do, however, find myself using desktop mode most of the time. There are two main reasons for this: the fact all the apps I'm used to run in desktop mode, and also the apps that do run in Metro mode are either not very suitable for a desktop (they're more tablet oriented), or don't work as well as their desktop version. This is the case with Skype, for example.

So, in short, I'd say Windows 8, and more specifically 8.1 is nice once you get used to it, even if you do end up sticking to desktop mode most of the time.

The other benefit of upgrading to Windows 8 is you could develop apps for the Windows Store with Visual studio 2012/2013, but other than that it's not much of an inprovement developer-wise :)
smashapps
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

smashapps
Comathi has some pretty good advice there and I agree with all of what he has said.

I would also recommend upgrading to Windows 8 from Vista - ASAP! Windows 8 is nice but I feel like there are a lot of issues with the metro apps. They seem to take awhile to load. I'm also using desktop mode most of the time too.

At least get Windows 7 if at all possible, I think you will be satisfied with that.
My name is Tom | Visit my blog where I post new content every day! Tom's Daily Blog | MineCraft is awesome!
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

mikethedj4
My experience with Windows 8 has been a lot better than 7.

Faster bootup time, can use both touch and desktop apps simultaneously, almost completely customizable. (The desktop is more customizable than the start screen, but Windows has no where near the customizable features in GNOME on Linux)

All my apps ran without a problem. Even Critical Strike (A free CounterStrike alt) ran without a problem. As on Win7 it was a fairly laggy.

Most people complained about Vista and said 7 was a better experience, as for me it was flipped. Ever since I went to using Win8 I've been very happy. I've been giving Win 8.1 a test run for a few months and now it's expired (shutsdown every 2 hours). Unlike most on here I enjoyed Vista much better than 7, but then again I had no problems with Vista unlike 7.

If you're considering upgrading test it in a virtual machine for awhile, or maybe run it off of an external hard drive before you upgrade just to make sure if you really want to do it or not.
Codex
Coding God
Coding God

Codex
Windows 8 for everything in Windows 7 plus a tile screen (Metro) minus the start menu.
Windows 7 delivers everything Windows 8 does except for the Metro.. so I'd stick to it if I already have it.

Edit: It also has a faster boot-up time which I am thankful today. It's difference is big on my computer, but I guess it varies from computer to a computer.
We shall let the revolution begin.. the revolution for freedom, freedom against censorship. We shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender
Shim
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

Shim
I haven't tried Windows8 yet but if you want to be with the latest technology then go get it.
Find my programs on Softpedia
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes it depends on what you want and the computer you have, if you have a high enough spec PC with the right CPU type then get Windows 8 because its a lot better than 7 and more resource efficient (boots and loads stuff better)..If you can't install Windows 8 then go with 7 instead.

I would recommend people upgrade to 8 and especially developers because you will be able to keep up with and use the latest dev tools and frameworks so its a must :)

I don't use the start screen much apart from when I'm checking emails and testing apps but at least its there when you need it. My favourite thing about windows 8 start screen is that all my latest emails, social updates and reminders are all there on the screen as soon as I boot up and log in, makes everything easier because you don't have to wait for loads of different software programs to load in the background and clog up your system.

Its entirely up to you really, if you want to stay up to date and be able to use all the latest tools ect then get Windows 8, otherwise go with 7....anything is better than Vista :lol:
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
hungryhounduk
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

hey guys
Yesterday i installed the Win8.1 Preview just to see what all the fuss was about :)

Wow ya know I just love the interface, the Colors were just so relaxing and i loved the way you can scroll about with the middle mouse button. When i get some cash I will definately upgrade to Win8. I spent last night reinstalling win 7 :( and too be honest win7 is a real letdown in looks when you compare it to Win8.

Yeah I really would like win8 so i can get VS2013 on the Computer, as that is only compatible with win8......Oh well thats something else to aim for..

Chris
11 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Windows 10 General Discussion”