Run Ubuntu from SD Card on Android Tablet?

Discussion about the latest Tablet software, hardware, accessories.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

I'll be acquiring my first tablet in a few weeks, and haven't tinkered with Android much besides my 1st gen Motorola Droid (I had an HTC Sense, but a power surge fried it and turned it into a brick, same with my old laptop)

I feel like such a noob asking this but first I want to clarify that.... I DON'T wanna install Ubuntu on the tablet! I still want Android, I just wanna be able to run Ubuntu directly off of a SD Card or Flash Drive. Now I have Ubuntu 11.04 on my old flash drive, and was wondering if I can boot directly to Ubuntu from my flash drive on the tablet. I figure it's possible, just don't know if it's a simple plug in and go type concept, not sure if I'll have to install any additional applications in order to get it functioning properly. I figure it's more then possible. I just want to know what I'm doing prior before I do anything. So if anyone has any tips it'd be greatly appreciated.
smashapps
Coding Guru
Coding Guru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIYKKLX8lJM

that video talks about how to do that
My name is Tom | Visit my blog where I post new content every day! Tom's Daily Blog | MineCraft is awesome!
comathi
Coding God
Coding God

So far, from what I've seen and read, Ubuntu Touch (or however they finally decided to call it lol) was officially released for Nexus devices. That doesn't mean it won't work on anything else, but you might want to check if there are images out there specifically for your device... or you might need to tweak something up ;)
benji_19994
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

Hmm I think you would have to unlock the boot manager and to do that you would have to root the device then edit the boot manager somehow and btw it's not going to be able to run the normal ubuntu as it is not optimised for arm devices. The are developing an android phone os (Also a smart tv I believe)
Shim
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

bro theres a app called Complete Linux Installer its like virtualbox and i remember another old app but unfortunately i forgot it's name

i have used complete linux installer to run backtrack
on playstore : https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... mRyb2lkIl0.

need root thats what i always have lol

theres another one https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... AzMDcyOSJd
Find my programs on Softpedia
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

This has to be the best answer I've got from someone with the username - FoamyGuy at android.stackexchange.com
"@mikethedj4 the thing is though android doesn't really have a concept of "boot from thumbdrive" the same way that normal PCs do. You'd likely have to heavily modify the android system to allow for that. Then after that you'd have to probably have an ubuntu thumbdrive that was meant specifically for running on an android device as opposed to whatever you have now which is probably meant for PCs. I'm afraid you are probably wading into un-explored territory here, so you are going to have to do a lot of the legwork yourself."

I know running a virtual machine is safer and that's what everyone is recommending for obvious reasons I figured it's been done before just can't find the proper source. If I can't findout how to do this I will go to the virtual machine option. (I want to avoid that cause of sharing RAM and software development)
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Tablets”