Toshiba Satellite Laptop Won't Boot to USB

Discuss all things PC software, hardware, accessories.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Contributors
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

My laptop model is Toshiba Satellite L655-S5153

I have my bios setup to boot usb, cd, then hdd.
Legacy mode is enabled as well.

I already have Elementary OS Freya (A distribution of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) installed on my flash drive, but this laptop won't boot to it (I'm running Windows 7 on my Toshiba laptop). My HP laptop does (which is running Windows 8), but it's annoyingly slow. (It works on my dell laptop without a problem, but I have my sister using that until I have time to fix her computer)

Nothing is checked in the boot tab of msconfig.exe, and it doesn't boot when usb in plugging into any of the usb ports.

This is really agitating.

Has anyone had this problem before? Anyone know what the problem maybe, or better yet a solution (that doesn't require having to buy another computer)?
mandai
Coding God
Coding God

If you leave the memory stick plugged in do you see it in the BIOS boot device screen?
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

Yes it shows up in the bios, and when I press F12 to boot to usb it boots to windows instead as if it's not even reading the live usb drive.
Usman55
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

I have an L655-10U myself. I tested about 30-35 Linux distros last year, and the only time I got that problem was when the USB wasn't written properly. Sometimes the USB would work on one PC but fail to do so on another. Try rewriting the files using another app. I use Universal USB Installer from pendrivelinux.
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

I have several usb drives with various distros on each. (Some are live usb drives, and others are running the complete linux os on it) I tried a couple others and still nothing. (I use UNetbootin)
anthonygz

mikethedj4 wrote:
I have several usb drives with various distros on each. (Some are live usb drives, and others are running the complete linux os on it) I tried a couple others and still nothing. (I use UNetbootin)
The Toshiba Satellites are notorious for not working in many cases with usb booting.
Have you tried switching the boot order in the bios?
Make sure that the drivers go first, and the usb stick, then making everything else load after that.
Old post, but the new Website Layout drove me back here.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “PC”