Google Web Designer is Now Available for Linux

Post about and submit your favourite software for Linux.
1 post Page 1 of 1
Contributors
mikethedj4
VIP - Site Partner
VIP - Site Partner

https://www.google.com/webdesigner/

Screenshots (I know I'm using windows in these shots. I've used it on Linux as well, it's the same app with the same features):
gwd1.png
gwd2.png
gwd3.png
Video Overview:
I personally am not a fan of GWD. I could not find a way to group elements (other than doing it in the code editor), there's no resize handler as seen in MMD, or Macaw. So the only way to adjust the dimensions of the element is by manipulating it within the properties. When using the 3d stage rotation handler at face value I expected that those transformation effects would also publish to the final product. They did in code, but I did not see it apply when my final test design was done.

NOTE: The 3D transformation effects are applied using matrix3d.
Code: Select all
-webkit-transform: matrix3d(1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1);
-moz-transform: matrix3d(1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1);
transform: matrix3d(1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1);
In addition Google has also made some of their own elements like a slide gallery which is very nice. However the application is still in beta and not all browsers are supported.

I could not find a way inside the slide gallery component to add images. You can only do that in code, which isn't recommended. Your images only resize in the component once published, not in the editor.

The best features GWD has going for it is it's transformation tool, and animation properties.

It does render nice code for you, it could be better but it's to be expected with a web design application. Even Macaw doesn't write the cleanest HTML and CSS, but it gets the job done!

I however would not recommend GWD.

Here are some I recommend:
Intel XDK App Designer
WebFlow is a great professional drag & drop styled web designer.
LayoutIt! is a great Bootstrap 3 Interface Builder.
TweenUI is a nice html5 animation tool for making.... yep you guessed it html5 ad/banner animations.
Then of course there's Mirrored Mockup Design which is an application I've developed. (Which is being completely reconstructed)

There also is CoffeeCup's Responsive Layout Maker Pro, it's commercial software only for Windows and Mac OS X, but you can run the trial on Linux via WINE and the trial never ends. (You can do the same with the Quick 'n Easy Web Builder although it's not as good as the others mentioned and it doesn't write the best code either)

There is also the App-Make-inator (Looks very similar to Illumination Software Creator. Which is a visual HTML5 creation tool focused on easily building highly interactive HTML5 content (both for web as well as mobile and desktop apps).

Now there are little generators I can link to, but this is about a web design application therefore the links are aimed at the topic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 post Page 1 of 1
Return to “Software”