Trading Card Game

Post all your application ideas, thoughts and suggestions in here to inspire others or kick-off a project.
32 posts Page 1 of 4
Contributors
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Trading Card Game
CodenStuff
Nephew has spoken!

Ok so I made a fun little contest earlier to design a character based on a template I made when I was cold and bored lol and my nephew saw it and the designs people have submitted and he thought they were "coooooool" and he asked me if I could make them in to a trading card game for him and his friends. I didn't really know what a trading card game was so I looked it up online and viewed some guides/videos and think I got the basic idea but I was still confused so I went up to see him and he and his friend (think she's actually his girlfriend..awww lol) demonstrated a pokemon card game they like to play. I think I got how it all works and he also plays a game called Magic that's more of an adult type card game so after a bit of a discussion, half a packet of biscuits and 2 cups of tea I agreed that I would give it a try and see what I can do.

On my way home I thought about it a bit more and that it would be a good idea for a Christmas present for him as he's such a big fan of these card games to have his own unique game for him and his (girl)friends to play and I could actually get them professionally printed and boxed it would make a great present....problem is I first need to design the cards and the game in general lol.

So I figure this is what I need (after doing more research online):

1) A good story for the game
2) Card and character designs (about 30-60)
3) Decide what "powers" each character should have
4) How to play the game lol

Is there anyone here who plays these type of trading card games who can tell me a bit more about them or have any ideas I can use?. Would anyone like to help me make it? dunnno;

A bit out of my comfort zone as it's not code related but I'm up for the challenge lol.

Where to start :?
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
comathi
Coding God
Coding God

Re: Trading Card Game
comathi
I never understood trading card games either, don't worry lol.

Well, your original Blink looks like some kind of alien. Perhaps he has invaded Earth, along with his fellow Blinks. They're trying to pass off as regular humans while they string together a plan for world domination, which is why they're dressed in normal human clothes (or in video game plumber costumes lol).

I could help you by designing some more Blinks or improving existing ones as needed, but I probably won't be much help when it comes to the story and powers cooll;
Shim
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

Shim
Oh I didn't know that you have your nephew here
Find my programs on Softpedia
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
I agree it looks like an alien so I've been trying to come up a simple story around that lol.

So far I've figured out that basically you need 3 different types of cards:

The character cards
These are used as your fighter who does battle with your opponents fighter and the card has info on it like health, defense and energy type.

Item/Weapon cards
These are used with your fighter and let you use stuff like swords and spells to cause more damage to your opponents fighter.

Energy/Power/Magic cards
These are used to activate attacks your fighter can use that cause more damage and also required to use different spells, weapons etc.

Based on what you will need in the game and the characters etc this is what I've come with so far.

The Story
Blinks were exploring the universe in a ship (billions of light years from their home planet) and found a life form so beamed it on board to study (this life form was known as a "Lash"..as in eyelash lol) and it was big, mean and very angry at the Blinks for abducting it and started trashing the ship. The ships power core was damaged in the rampage and about to explode so the Blinks go in to escape pods and left the ship moments before it exploded. The Blinks were then spread out as their pods landed across numerous worlds and the only way for them to get home was by activating their personal transport beacon...problem is the beacons require a power source known as "TriSphere-Energy" and the source of this energy was in the ships core which just exploded. Each Blink possesses a device known as a "TriSphere" which apart from being a transport beacon is also capable of creating various objects needed for survival until rescued but they weren't able to activate the distress call before leaving the ship so no rescue is coming.
Each beacon is capable of transporting only the wearer back home but requires a lot of energy to do so and now the core is gone the only source left of this energy is the tiny amounts contained within each Blinks TriSphere and every Blink wants to go home but there isn't enough for them all so the Blinks began to search out others and fight them for their TriSphere energy.

Simple story that may need some tweaking but it's a start :lol:

What the TriSphere looks like (rough drawing)

We can place an image of a TriSphere on each card and they can be different colours to indicate the type of energy card required to use different weapons and attacks and each weapon card needs to be the same colour as the energy to use those weapons in the battle. A little confusing but I've read a lot of online guides and watched loads of videos and this is how these games work lol.

Also instead of it just being another card game like every other card game I figured we could add some other elements of play in to it as well and have "Boss cards" enter the game at a certain point which both players must fight...of course the bosses are "Lashes" :lol:

I basically just need to design the cards and it will all make sense. If anyone wants to help by designing some Blinks or weapons then please do and just post them in here...don't worry if you're not good at drawing if you have an idea just draw it best you can and post it and I will do my best to tidy it up cooll;
Welcome to CodenStuff.com Learn Code, Love Code. Thank you for being a member of the community.
Dummy1912
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

Dummy1912
well no idea if you like it
but i thought something like this

like you have a blink alien that throws fire or ice balls :lol:

if you like them let me know and ill send you my psd file
visit us on:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Lau ... -Run.shtml
Check it out ! http://www.softpedia.com/publisher/I-A- ... 90017.html
Check it out ! http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-En ... lock.shtml
CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
Looking good #Dummy1912, how did you do those effects? they would be good for backgrounds.

Prototype card:

Opinions, thoughts? lol dunnno;
Dummy1912
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

Dummy1912
love the card and alien :) scary one

ow as background :( yea okay fine by me :)
i used a brush and then
just playing around with the options in ps
and then i got that effect :)
you want the psd?
visit us on:

CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
#Dummy1912 yes I meant like backgrounds for the characters, your graphics would look good as an ice or fire background :D

I did some more card testing with some more quick draws.

There all pretty dark (in colour) characters though...think I need some more colourful ones.

It's really hard thinking up what characters to make goofy; lol
Dummy1912
VIP - Donator
VIP - Donator

Dummy1912
love them already :)
i have send you the psd files :)

and glad you like it if you need more let me know
visit us on:

CodenStuff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CodenStuff
Had trouble with my computer today but so far this is what I have in terms of characters, probably won't use a few of them but still.... 1% of cards complete :lol:

As I'll probably end up with a big collection of these and they take a while to draw I added a watermark because they are uploaded publicly to tinypic and don't want anyone stealing them. If they are even worth stealing dunnno;

The top 3 are nice and colourful so should look good on the cards :)

Da*n it I need more ideas...must think of more ideas!. lol
32 posts Page 1 of 4
Return to “Code Storming”